Monday, July 10, 2006

 

Togo

It's amazing how much of a difference a border can make. This weekend some guys from camp and I took a quick trip into Togo, ostensibly to renew our entry stamp to allow us to stay in Ghana for another 60 days; but I really wanted to see another west African country if only for 2 days.


Lomé, the capital of Togo has such a different feel than Accra, its loud, bustling, dirty- in other words, Egypt! I loved it. Plus since it's an old French colony, the food is fantastic. We didn't have time to do much, just some touristy crap like the voodoo market. It was interesting but had all the authenticity of a third-world Hollywood.

Unfortunately, although Togo is considerably poorer than Ghana (they had a cholera outbreak there right before we went- but I guess we had one of those outbreaks on camp earlier in the year so that’s not saying much!) it is defiantly more expensive owing to the strength of their currency, the CFA (Central Franc Afrique or something like that) which is the same that Burkina Faso and Mali use. This means I might have to reconsider my travel plans for August (I have been planning on heading up that direction). I also realized that the extent of my French skills leave much to be desired, an important aspect to consider when it’s hard enough avoid getting ripped off when I speak the same language, let alone having a language barrier added to the fray.

Togo made me appreciate some parts of Ghana that had passed me by. For one, people here are simply outstandingly friendly! Of course some people try and rip me off and there are buglers and criminals, but for the most part I am greeted by genuine ivory tooth smiles where ever I go. After only a month here I’ve lost most the edge that I learned in Egypt. I’ve dropped the shield that I used to put up whenever someone offered to walk me to the bus station or the tro-tro stop as I wondered around looking lost and confused. The hassle of Togo reminded me how easy I have it here, but makes me wonder about the wisdom of trying to go north. I’ve heard up there, especially Mali, is notorious for the hassle

I wish I could get pictures on here because I have some nice shots from this waterfall we stopped at called Wli (pronounced Vwli). Supposedly the tallest in West Africa they were truly impressive. On the way back we stopped in a monkey sanctuary set up by some Peace Corps volunteers. Its set in this rural African village composed almost entirely of mud huts or palm branch houses. Set that backdrop against feeding bananas to monkeys out of our hands as the sun sets behind some palm trees lazily frolicking in the slight tropical breeze while women with baskets on their heads amble down the red dirt road with wild monkeys scattering at their feet, and you have an idea of what it was like. It fulfilled every stereotype of African life that I’ve ever read! Needless to say it was great. Further, their looking for some more Peace Corps volunteers…..hmmm!

So overall it was a great weekend. It’s too bad that Kiran, another volunteer from June had to leave, it feels like I’ve known her for years. July is defiantly going to be lacking without her presence on camp. She actually purchased a ticket for me to fly to Budapest (where she’s gonna be living this year) to see her for spring break!!

Kendra, sounds like Ashville is awesome! Ok I guess I give you permission to move down there- but not until after I graduate!

Ok I have a some emails that I haven’t read cause the internet is taking forever, but I’m working on it. So if I haven’t replied it’s just cause I haven’t been able to open your email yet- I really do love reading them and hearing from everyone and I will reply eventually I promise!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?