Sunday, June 25, 2006

 

It's a small small world!

I can't belive how small the world is! Just 10 minutes ago while i was walking down the street in the middle of Accra (thge capital city here) with these girls that i randomly met who are from near Dorking, England (where we lived a long time ago), I here this girl calling out my name. I turn around to see another girl from my high school in Egypt- Angie Cornell. She's here on a study abroad program from her uni in Calgery. Apprently she used to be best friends with one of my other Egypt friends who's here, Maria, but didn't know she was in town. So now we're all meeting up again for another Egypt reunion! Its kinda crazy how the international circuit is so connected...

Well I finnally got ill, nothing big just the usual traverls stomach problems, but its good. I was getting kinda worried, while everyone else in camp has been getting all kinda of stuff, everything from Malaria to Scabies, i had nothing. I thought maybe the universe was just saving up something special for me and that's why I was being spared, but luckly I got some diarreha this weekend...phew! It's rare that we go a week on camp without at least a handfull of people getting sick with something or the other simply due to the nature of the environment we live in. With sickness taking up such a large part of life here it naturally makes its way into our everyday conversation; its not unusual for our dinner talk to drift towards an update of everyone's bowl movements- who went today and how many times, who's constipated, who's got diarreha, who's puked and how many times. It's all quite lovely!

On a completly seperate note, Katie sent me a wonderful poem today, it really made me feel great, so i'll post it here (if katie dosn't mind):

My poem to you:
When I first met this boy he was wearing a hat,
And was not much of a chitchat,
Nor was he fat.
When it comes to airplanes he is no drat,
Although he does not support combat.
He drinks milk that is only nonfat
And for a short time he was in a frat.
His favorite animal is not a dingbat or wombat,
But just a boaring old cat.
Now he's in Ghana dealing with many Gnat's,
And other bugs you'd like to hit with a bat,
As well as toilet matters that go splat.
But anyone who knows this Matt
Is not left wondering where his heart is at.

Love from the Kindom of Saudi Arabia. -Katie


I thought it was pretty good, thank you katie! I did have a little bit of homesickness this weekend. Not really 'home' sickness, but just that feeling of wanting to be with your old friends and familly. I hope evryone's doing good, and that you're not too bored in Australia mom, and that you're still enjoyign being a grandmother Aunt Susie. Oh, kendra, i have an email i need to forward to you, Ill try and do that as soon as i get to an intenet cafe that will load my email (I have to go to different places to get on different web site, its weird, some sites work at some places and not others)

but the bathroom is calling again so I must wrap up. Everyone cheer for Ghana this tuesday against Brazil...they'll need all the cheer they can get!

Comments:
:) Yeah for my poem! I love you!
 
Hehehe, I meant to sign as Me...but now it looked ESL. Anyway, I think about you all the time and wonder if your sick of white rice yet and wish I could be there with you. So I decided to write you a poem....its very 2nd grade, I know....hehe, but I also know you dont have high expectations of my poetry. :)

I can NOT believe you just saw Angie walking down the street! It is such a small world! CRAZY.

Anyway, love you and miss you.
-Katie
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?