Friday, May 26, 2006

 

Packing (kinda) and jitters

Still a couple days before I leave. Its that time period of time, a couple days before your trip, that I hate. I feel like I should be packing or preparing, but then I know that if I pack now, I'll just end up taking everything back out cause I still need it for some random thing before I leave. So I inevitably put it off until its too late and I'll be running around 5 minutes before i need to catch my flight desperatly searching for my Ipod charger or my passport.

Since a bunch of people were asking what i was packing here's some pictures of everything I'll be taking for my 2 month, 2 week trip

Here's all the med's I'm brinign with me to hopefully avoid the complete West African experiance!




I have to say I'm excited to be able to use my brand new backpack for the first time, Kareem (my roommate) was making fun of me earlier last semester when, the day I got it, he came back to the apartment to find me proudly strutting around my room with it stuffed full of dirty cloths 'cause I so excited to try it on...and Allison wouldn't let me walk her home that night through with the pack on, they just doesn't understand! I think I get it from my dad...he'd be happy to sleep with his road-bike

I don't know how I feel about this whole thing now. I'm glad I'm doing it, but what can I do? I'm a HISTORY major; giving them a lecture on the causes of the Franco-Prussian war isn't going to help. Though I guess (or I've heard) that most people feel like that before they start a new job/internship/career or whatever; you just gotta jump in with both feet.


I'd really like to get on the Water and Sanitation program, helping the camp get clean safe water. Right now the sewers run basically through the street I'm told. Although i'm sure a fair amount of down and dirty work is involved, I think (and hope!) that we also get to do some water education for the Liberians as well. The problem with just cleaning and doing the grunt work is (besides smelling like shit after your done) that after we leave everything will go back to how it was before, so we need to get the local people interested in doing the work themselves, we need a sustainable program.

If not that the HIV/AIDS program also sounds promising, but I think i need some kinda of health background for that one. Too bad though because I'd love to help with that issue, the statistics of AIDS in Africa are morbidly amazing.

I hope I'm not put in the education program, i just can't see my self as a teacher! I would have no idea how to teach somebody to read, or do math, or do anything! I guess thats the challenge though?

But right now I'm really hazy as to how the whole volunteer program works in the camp, but I guess I'll figure it out soon!


Here's a funny random photo from the theather near us here in perth...it was too good. Those crazy Aussie's.... My heart goes out to any man that was dragged to see this!!




P.S. today is National Sorry Day in Australia


Comments:
First....I don’t know how I feel about the term "morbidly amazing" in reference to AIDS in Africa. Morbid, yes. But amazing? I know what you are trying to say....but I had to make a comment because I'm in Saudi with no friends and nothing better to do than read your blog. :)

I can iminage the jitters you must be feeling. I know us TCK's have traveled all over the world, but there is something really scary about going to the unknown, with no family or friends traveling by your side and no one to meet you there.

But I just wanted to say that I am proud of you. Giving up your summer to volunteer in Ghana at a refugee camp is an amazingly selfless and courageous act. And to do it by yourself is even more admirable. So remember when you're hot, tired, have travelers runs and want to eat something other than white rice- you are making a difference in the lives of those less fortunate than yourself....and that is what life and success is about.

Love you Phelps.
 
Thanks katie...that means a lot to me.

But who would ever want to eat anything other than white rice??
 
oops- I hope the first part of that last comment didnt come across as sarcastic!
 
I'll ask you how you feel about white rice in 3 months.....

I have this feeling you wont have the same affinity for it. :)Love you.
 
Kendra, I definitely think you should take him to "Menopause The Musical".....it would be good for the kid. ;) And random fact....did you know that the only 2 universal symptoms of menopause are the end of periods and hot flashes. The rest is all cultural. :)

Ok, that’s all for now. Oh and Phelps....I am now subscribe to Newsweek, Oprah, National Geographic and your blog. Consider yourself loved.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?