Wednesday, May 24, 2006

 

The Camp

You're probably wondering why there are 42,000 Liberians camped out in the middle of Ghana (and if not you should be!). Well, after the civil war broke out in Liberia in late 1980's early 1990's, and again in the 2002 (I think), many people fled the country. Ghana, being one of the few English speaking countries around (the same officail language as Liberia, most other speak french due to different colonial overloards), ended up as the end destination for many of these people.

The camp I'll be in is called Buduburam Refugee Camp, but is classified by the UN has a settlement. I'm not really sure what the difference is, except that its some bureaucratic way of saying that they don't expect these people to be going anywhere anytime soon (and I'm sure it means they don't get as much AID relief as officially designated refugee camps do).

Actually, there's no real point in making a post now about this place since i haven't even been there yet, so I might as well wait tell next week. I'm just so excited to have this blog site up that I feel like I need to keep posting something!


I did find this video from this guy Andy who went to the camp last July (2005), its worth a look to give you a better feel for the camp. Its about 9 min and 50mb

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?